FamousWhy.com Forum: Reading Books Vs. Playing Computer Games - FamousWhy.com Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading Books Vs. Playing Computer Games a general problem of students Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lucia Barbu - Teacher Trainer 

• FamousWhy Citizen
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

I have been teaching English to young students for 30 years and I have noticed that it is more and more difficult to make my students read books.

I have tried all the techniques I have heard about but unfortunately my students have less time for reading and they prefer going out or playing games on PC. They seem to have no interest at all in fairy tales, classical writers, contemporary writers and so on.

I wonder what will happen with the future society if people are less and less informed in literature, history and civilisation.

Shall I insist on it or shall I give up ?

#2 User is offline   Chirnicinii Carmen 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

Good question!
For me this is a major problem both as a teacher and as a parent. I spent my adolescence reading late at night and I can`t understand why the teenagers aren`t attracted by books. The internet, in my opinion, can`t substitute reading. No way!!!!!!!!

#3 User is offline   Vasilica Popescu 

• Pip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

I have been teaching young children for thirty years, too and I have noticed that this generation of school children doesn't like reading books. They prefer watching TV or playing computer games. I think that many teachers and some parents are worried because children watch too much television or prefer playing computer games. A child watches TV or plays computer games because he finds it more interesting than anything else. Children get all the information they need from TV. So do a lot of parents. They get the information from radio and TV, too. They speak to their friends on the telephone (they don't write letters). The parents are very busy. They haven't enough time for their children or for reading literature. Most of them read only newspapers or magazines. They are less and less interested in reading literature. Most of them think that it is important to read books, but it isn't a tragedy if they don't do it. I think that teachers should insist on making their students read fairy tales, classical or contemporary works.

#4 User is offline   Andreea 

• FamousWhy Citizen
  • PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Lucia Barbu - Teacher Trainer @ Sep 1 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what will happen with the future society if people are less and less informed in literature, history and civilisation.

There are many resources for us to learn from, on the Internet, I think Books will be totaly replaced with the computer.

QUOTE(Chirnicinii Carmen @ Sep 11 2006, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The internet, in my opinion, can`t substitute reading. No way!!!!!!!!

Why not?

Internet is a form of reading too.

If I want to read about something for school or for my pleasure, I search on the web, find it and read it. blum.gif

Books were in the past like computers now. Then, if You wanted to have some fun alone and get informed, You read a book, now, You just turn on your computer and search for what you need.

#5 User is offline   maxluis 

• Pip

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

Very Helpful Forum and quite an interesting topic as well !!!
Keep It Up !

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic