• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Keeps the Sun Shining?

#1 User is offline   Rimbaud 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

The Sun is really a star. In fact, it is the nearest star to the Earth. Life as we know it depends on the Sun. Years ago, scientists believed that the reason the Sun shone, or gave off light and heat, was that it was burning. But the Sun has been hot for hundreds of millions of years, and nothing could remain burning for that long.

Today scientists believe that the heat of the Sun is the result of a process similar to what takes place inside an atom bomb. The Sun changes matter into energy. This is different from burning. Burning changes matter from one form to another. But when matter is changed into energy, very little matter is needed to produce a tremendous amount of energy. One ounce of matter could produce enough energy to melt more than a million tons of rock. So, if science is correct, the sun keeps shining because it is constantly changing matter into energy.

#2 User is offline   Adi Barb 

• Admin
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Did you know that :

- The distance from Earth to the Sun is about 93,000,000 miles or 149,668,992 kilometers and the Earth is 1,300,000 smaller than the Sun?

- The Sun is so hot that it's temperature is about 11,000 degrees Fahrenheit or 6,093 degrees Celsius.

- The Sun is not a solid planet like Earth... it is made of gas, that's why scientists believe that the heat of the Sun is the result of a process similar to what takes place inside an atom bomb, like Rimbaud said above.

#3 User is offline   lily 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

Our sun converts 4 million tons of hydrogen to helium every second,on such way our Sun give out heat and light.The Our sun is so large that it can maintain this prodigious energy output for billions of years, but eventually the hydrogen will run out. So Our sun will die after billions of years.
The estimated life of our Sun is about 10 billion years. Now it's approximately 5 billion yrs old.

#4 User is offline   TerraNova 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

The Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way galaxy at a distance of approximately 26,000 light-years from the galactic center, completing one revolution in about 225250 million years. The orbital speed is 217 km/s (135 mi/s), equivalent to one light-year every 1,400 years.

#5 User is offline   robbiedaniel1111 

• Famous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Famous Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

Sun is a Star, that's all i know. I thank you for the explanation man, i would like to read more stuffs like these, please share if you have some.

#6 User is offline   stephengriffith23 

• Famous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Can anyone reach the Sun ? Probably not ? I would really like to hear much from my friends over here about this.

#7 User is offline   robbiedaniel1111 

• Famous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:00 PM

Sun is a huge nuclear furnace in the sky. The process of nuclear fusion is continuous and ongoing on the natural globe. Sun is made up of tremendous clouds of Hydrogen that are always converting in Helium element constantly. Four Hydrogen Nucleus' combine and form one nucleus of Helium. During this process lots of energy are emitted in the sky. This is the Sunlight we get on earth.

#8 User is offline   stephengriffith23 

• Famous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

the scale on which these things happen, make me feel humbled.

#9 User is offline   wowcandy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:57 AM

thanks !
then i get it!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic