FamousWhy.com Forum: A Chinese couple wants "@" to be their child's name - FamousWhy.com Forum

99,99% of what happens to us day by day

This is where we comment the daily breaking news! Feel free to share your personal oppinion!

Subjects that won't catch your attention will be moved to each sub-forum's archive each month.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Chinese couple wants "@" to be their child's name Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Adi Barb 

• Admin
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Here's an interesting news:

A Chinese couple seeking a distinctive and modern name for their child chose the commonly used Internet 'at' symbol, much to the consternation of Chinese officials.

The unidentified couple and the attempted naming were cited Thursday by a Chinese government official as an example of bizarre names creeping into the Chinese language.

The father "said 'the whole world uses it to write e-mails and translated into Chinese it means 'love him,'"' Li Yuming, the vice director of the State Language Commission, said at a news conference.

The symbol pronounced in English as 'at' sounds like the Chinese phrase "love him."

Source: Forbes

#2 User is offline   venuleena 

• FamousWhy Citizen
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Adi Barb @ Aug 21 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Chinese couple seeking a distinctive and modern name for their child chose the commonly used Internet 'at' symbol, much to the consternation of Chinese officials.

The unidentified couple and the attempted naming were cited Thursday by a Chinese government official as an example of bizarre names creeping into the Chinese language.

The father "said 'the whole world uses it to write e-mails and translated into Chinese it means 'love him,'"' Li Yuming, the vice director of the State Language Commission, said at a news conference.

The symbol pronounced in English as 'at' sounds like the Chinese phrase "love him."

That is very funny. I don't understand why parents want to give such funny names to their children. I personally don't believe that this in any way will make the child unique.

#3 User is offline   lily 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

I had seen this news in chinese newspaper.
But I don't believe such news,because if add @ in chinese name,it's very strange.
maybe just a joke.

#4 User is offline   daemon 

• Thorn
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Guardians

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Adi Barb @ Aug 21 2007, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

news is pluralia tantum, therefore is not countable smile.gif maybe .. some interesting news, or an interesting piece of news .. ? smile.gif
QUOTE(Adi Barb @ Aug 21 2007, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? Is there any rule stating we only have to give names which contains letters? In an informational world, alphanumeric characters rule blum.gif

#5 User is offline   Sanctus 

• FamousWhy Citizen
  • PipPip

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Okay... this is really funny and weird.
Yes if the name in chinese sounds like Love him I think its ok, because they anyway use wird compinations for names.
It would be wird for a passport or anything to have the "@ Chung" name on it. I can only say... Crazzy people...

#6 User is offline   johna936 

• Famous Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Famous Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Its interesting but is strange until we are a Chinese person. The name "@" is good, short and sweet rolleyes.gif

#7 User is offline   wowcandy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

i think it's just a joke...... :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes:

#8 User is offline   Hath Way 

• Pip
  • View blog

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:57 AM

Just a joke. The Chinese government will never let that happen to their people.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic